The Board of Supervisors established the Department in November 1946. The Department then consisted of three members. In May 1947, an additional officer was hired to provide additional coverage for a growing community.
From that time forward the department has grown to 36 sworn officers, 35 full-time and 1 part-time.
Also, there are three non-uniform employees that handle a combination of dispatch and administrative functions. In addition to their normal day-to-day functions and patrols the department has formed a number of specialty units.
- Criminal Investigative Department - 6 officers
- K-9 Unit - 2 certified canine work dogs and handlers
- Community Police - 2 officers to include a bike patrol unit
- Student Resource Officer - 1